The dormer room is the first we’re really going at as we want to get it fully insulated, ideally before winter. Part of the job is also refurbing the dormer – including a new window
Quite a view without the dormer window in (we also had the back door and our bedroom window replaced on the same day)
…the dormer from the outside…
…and in context with the rest of the house. This, the north side of the house, is the side you see as you drive up the track from the village. The window on the left is the office window, on the right the kitchen.
Access to the dormer room is fairly narrow – a longer term project will be to assess what options we have for these stairs – there’s even a flap which can be down when you want more “landing” space, and up when you want to get furniture up and down the stairs!
The other room up these narrow stairs is a square room which currently hosts our cold water tank. It’s really just a storage room – but has a lovely wooden floor
The knocking out of the lath and plaster in the dormer room really got started in June
…on both sides of the room. This wooden chest is HUGE and we can only imagine was built up in the room – we certainly have no idea how to get it out of the room other than broken up.
We’re still not quite sure what to do with the built in wardrobe – it’s really well built but totally in the way in terms of insulating
The dormer room also has some pretty amazing old lino – I suspect it won’t survive being lifted, but is protecting the floorboards for now, at least
Outside, the greenhouse was getting, well, greener, thanks to some donations of seedlings from some friends. I don’t quite remember when the lawn mower arrived, but it was around this time – a donation from our very friendly and lovely postie!
The back (or south) garden – looking at the house with our bedroom window at top, and “The Library” window at bottom. The finial on the roof has since been carefully taken down – the spike it was on had rusted and the foot of it had cracked into four pieces. Left much longer it would have fallen and smashed to smithereens – so we’re glad to have it on the ground, albeit in more than one piece
Much of the wallpaper in the hallway was pretty much falling off the walls – so in a fit of activity Chris and I took most of it off fairly early on. Mainly we discovered amazingly red walls, but in this one section, the darkest of all, it seemed the walls had been tarred. Thankfully we’ve now got a couple of layers of paint on to lighten this area again. Not quite sure what the decorating scheme for the hall will be but time will tell!